Sunday, May 22, 2011

In the Spotlight: Duncan Grossman

Name: Duncan Grossman

Character: Bianca/Lord

Why Acting? Why Shakespeare?
It's hard to do these answers justice with short responses, but in short I suppose they both can be summed up in one word: audience. 

How and why did you get involved with Hampshire Shakespeare & this production?
Duncan in "Reservoir Dogs"
Funnily enough, my colleague (Sam Perry) came up to me one day after I had missed auditions and asked me, "Still looking for something to do this summer?" I asked what he had in mind and before I knew it, I was auditioning in front of the director and the production manager. The obvious answer of "why this production" is, I think, because I loved having the opportunity to play the opposite gender. With that said, the idea of performing outdoors and with an entirely new company made the experience sound even more appealing.


What is your Favorite Word?
Impossible.

What is your Least Favorite Word?
Boring.

What sound or noise do you love?
Sizzling bacon. I don't even like bacon...

Duncan in "Twelfth Night"
What sound or noise do you hate?
Passive aggressiveness.

What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
International Urban Search & Rescue.

What profession would you not like to do?
Anything at a desk.

What is your earliest memory of theater?
I made my theatrical debut as one of the trolls in "The Three Billy Goats Gruff." I crawled out from under the bridge and fronted my first line ever as an actor: "Who's that trip-trappin' over my bridge?!"

Why is Theatre Necessary?
"Spring Awakening"
Well the true question is, in my opinion, why is story-telling necessary? Because frankly, some stories need to be told -- if not for entertainment, then for inspiration or education. Whether it is a professional Shakespearean actor or an interesting lecturer, there is nothing like a good story.


Has performing Shakespeare given you any interesting insights into Shakespeare?
Sometimes, it just needs to be said out loud.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Duncan Grossman (Lord/Bianca) is a senior theater and kinesiology major who will be entering his fifth (and final) year at UMass Amherst in the fall. Duncan is excited to be making his HSC debut and would like to thank his friends and family for putting up with his perpetually hectic schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment