Wednesday, June 15, 2011

In the Spotlight: Gregory Kleciak

Name: Gregory Kleciak


Character: Page, servant

Greg as Mordred
in "Camelot"
Why Acting? Why Shakespeare?
I enjoy acting because you can fire out a lot of emotions you can’t in everyday life. Shakespeare I find enjoyable because the language is stellar: an actor can look at lines in Shakespeare and see them the same way a musician might see their sheet music; there are crescendos, tempo switches, and volume changes. In some ways the text does a little bit of the work for us.

How and why did you get involved with Hampshire Shakespeare & this production?
I first got involved with Hampshire Shakespeare years ago when I was in Henry IV Part I, and when the call came, I was more than happy to get involved with this show.

What is your Favorite Word? Grundge.


What is your Least Favorite Word? Porkbarrel.

What sound or noise do you love? Rain.

What sound or noise do you hate?
Telephones ringing (cellular or household.)

What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
Theoretical physicist.

What profession would you not like to do? Nurse or C.P.A.

What is your earliest memory of theater?
Being in the chorus of singing mice in our elementary school production, Of Mice and Mozart, is my earliest theatrical memory.

Greg, in the title role
in "Malcolm X"
Why is Theatre Necessary?
I couldn’t say it’s necessary, just as I couldn’t say movies, TV, or videogames are necessary in a world where people are starving, but I think theater is unique because it gives the audience a chance to connect emotionally with the work first hand. Which is more engaging to watch: a videotape of a couple having an argument, or them hashing it out right in front of you? Theater can have the same effect as the latter.

Has performing Shakespeare given you any interesting insights into Shakespeare?
It has shown me that lowest common denominator humor has managed to go unevolved for hundreds of years.


No comments:

Post a Comment